Monday 22 December 2008

Getting into the swing of things

So, I'm back at my office after Mum's trip, and, apart from a week away 'in the field', I'm slowly building into a routine. In the morning, I eat breakfast after the usual cup of tea and then head in to the office, taking Bhanja to school on the way. At lunch time, we all head out to a small roti-shop, the Nepali equivalent of a sandwich bar, for a chapati and vegetable curry. Then just as it starts to get dark, I make my way home again. It's good to have a little bit of routine again in this most unpredictable and unorganised place.

The field trip was to go and help to start a social survey in an area where a new Hydropower plant will be built. This meant a day's bus ride followed by several hours walking to get to our base. We then had to walk to all the affected villages and talk to the local residents about the new plant. It was very interesting to see people off the tourist trail, see their scepticism about development plans and their enthusiasm about the possibility of a new source of income in a mainly agricultural landscape.

The landscape in the affected area was amazing

One village we visited was a typical Gurung village. It was very like Ghandruk, a village on the Poon Hill trek, but for one major difference. It felt more real. Ghandruk had been developed by the government as a model Gurung village, while the one we saw was left alone by all development, so it seemed. The children in the evening played football on the terraced fields on the outside of the village - a passing game was all but impossible due to the steps in the surface. And very few of the people there had seen foreigners before, so it caused a large amount of staring. They also performed one of their 'cultural programs' for us, singing songs and dancing for a few rupees.

Naiche, a typical Gurung village, that felt like something out of Lord of the Rings

So, as Christmas was approaching, I wanted to try and do something to celebrate it. So, Bhanja and I made a small nativity scene, and some paper chains as well. I bought a plastic christmas tree, and we made some decorations to put on it as well. Hopefully, Saru will be here for Christmas day, so although I won't be with my family in the UK, I'll be with my Nepali family. When we were making the nativity scene, Bhanja was colouring in the people and asked for the brown colour. I asked why he needed the brown, as he was on the angel. He said for the face. Not pink, brown. This might sound a strange little thing to remember, but when I was small, people had pink faces. For Bhanja however people have brown faces. So, in our nativity scene, we have a brown faced angel, Jesus, Mary and Joseph, shepherds and wise-men.

The Christmas tree and nativity scene

Walking back from my office the other day I saw a midget - he was riding around on a quad. In Nepal, the land of short people, midget's are titchy.

Thanks to everyone who's emailed me recently. I'm sorry I've been very lazy in replying to them, but I do read everything. I just forget to write back...

Anyway, Merry Christmas one and all.

SAM

(Here's a rare photo of me, just to show I'm still alive, alert, awake enthusiastic)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great to hear from you again, Sam!

Loved the home-made nativity/Xmas decorations - bet you all had fun doing those. We take it all for granted here, just unpacking it all from the loft and hoping no bulbs have blown.....

Have a great time, however you spend it - and all the best for 2009! Keep smiling, hugs, Chrissie xx