Monday 22 August 2011

Back to Nepal - Part 4 - Janai Purnima and Goodbye

I arrived back in the Kathmandu Valley in time for Janai Purnima. Janai Purnima is a time when Brahmin and Chhetri caste Hindus change their sacred thread, it is also when sisters give their brothers bands which they place around their wrists to protect them. Both Saru and Rachhu came to give me and Achut our bands.


The Rakhi that Saru and Rachhu gave to protect me

During this time there is a large festival in Gosainkunda lake in the Langtang Himalaya, where many people go to on a pilgrimage to change their Janai. In Patan, at the Kumbeshwor Temple a similar mela takes place. It is said that the temple is connected to the lake at Goskainkunda by an underground river, whether this is true is anyone's guess. So, I took a quick visit down to the temple with Mama's son, Subash.


Kumbeshwor temple at the Janai Purnima Mela

There were thousands of people at the temple, all wanting to visit the temple, pay respects to their gods and have a blessing from the priest and another thread rakish.


The idol from the temple in the middle of a chariot in a pool - the people were gathering the money at the bottom of the pool to give to the idol


The priests sitting outside the temple


Me and Subash

Janai Purnima is a family time too. Saru and Rachhu had come over from their respective new houses. It was great to see them as I would be leaving in a couple of days afterwards. Going this time was going to be a bit strange. Every time I have gone in the past then I knew when I was going to come back. This time, however, I didn't really know what was going to happen, in the next 2 years I would be needing to finish my PhD and then write up, so when I would be back I wasn't sure. So I made sure I saw as many people as possible in Kathmandu before I left.


Bob


Me and Bob


Krishna and me


Achut and me at the airport

It was a sad day leaving, Aama was ill again, I really couldn't answer when I'd be back next. Buwa gave me a tika and as quickly as I'd arrived it was going again.

SAM

No comments: