Monday 2 May 2011

Living Below the Line - Day 1

This morning we made the chapatti for lunch before cooking the porridge. The chapatti proved to be quite tricky, especially rolling out, as our cottage didn't have a rolling pin, so instead I used a glass. Most of them cooked OK, and some puffed up slightly. I had forgot what the water to porridge ratio should be, and so had a guess, which turned out to be wrong. After 2 minutes in the microwave, the porridge had the consistency of a flapjack. However, Hannah managed to save it, adding more water and by the time it came to eating it porridge came out satisfactorily.


Breakfast - Porridge (made with water not milk)

We left our holiday cottage and headed into Abergavenny for a cycle along the Brecon-Monmouth Canal before heading back to Bristol for lunch. It was quite dry but I enjoyed it, very much like some of the khaja I eat whilst in Nepal.


Lunch - Chickpea and Cauliflower Curry with Chapatti

After lunch Hannah, I and Becky prepared some of the food for the rest of the week. I made 36 chapatti (some for the next couple of days) whilst the girls made the leek and potato soup for tomorrow, which I now have a pint of in my fridge. Tea was to be jacket potato and vegetables in a tomato sauce. The jacket potatoes were disappointingly small, but the vegetables made up for it and had a good amount of taste to it, made even more so when we added some garlic (an extra 1/2 a clove per person, about 1p).


Tea - Jacket Potato With vegetables in a Tomato Sauce

Day one is over now. It was surprising how much we talked about food, considering it's something that we can't have any more. I am in need of a little chocolate though…

SAM

No comments: