Saturday 7 May 2011

Living Below the Line - Some Final Thoughts…

So, this morning we all celebrated by having a fry-up at 7.45am. After 5 days of eating vegetables, pulses and pasta, it was brilliant to be able to eat something with more taste! I was so looking forward to eating that when the food sat in front of me I gobbled it down within just a couple of minutes. I developed a proper food-baby in front of me. However, now it is the afternoon, and I've not actually had to eat anything else so far today, and I doubt I will until tea. So, maybe the reduced portions have done me some good. I just need to learn to not be so greedy I think.

I woke up very early this morning (too excited about the cooked breakfast I think) and started thinking. I could now buy food for a day that costs £1. What other things could I buy for a pound (or thereabouts)? Here's a few interesting things...
  • You can buy Help! by The Beatles on iTunes
  • You can buy 2 first class stamps and have a little change left over (get some penny sweets in!)
  • You can buy some posh and very tasty cookies from Tesco (only if they're on offer though…)
  • You can buy a lottery ticket, with a 14,000,000 to 1 chance of winning large amounts of money
  • You can buy a fluorescent tube
  • You could call Nepal for 5 minutes or send 10 texts there
  • You could subscribe to The Times online for 24 hours
  • Or you could feed yourself


It seems to me that in this world today we don't really realise how much £1 can actually do. It can actually make the difference between eating or not, even in this country. Maybe, I'll make one less bus journey a week, buy one less track from iTunes, not eat so many Tesco/Sainsburys/Coop cookies. Then with that money put it to something that can actually make a difference.

£1 a day = £365 a year. That would make a HUGE difference.

SAM

No comments: