Thursday 5 May 2011

Living Below the Line - Day 4

Today was hard. Not only did my presentation for my first ever conference get ripped apart - probably quite rightly - by my supervisors which means I'm gong to have to spend all of tomorrow re-doing it (ARGH!) but the snacking pangs are coming on stronger and stronger. I'm getting more and more grumpy and looking forward to the weekend, when this will be all over.

And then that thought makes me feel sad and very very humble. Why? Because, as I said at the beginning, I am just playing at this. It is not my real life, eating a small amount of food and trying to get by, it's just a game for me, a choice that I have made, a challenge I've given myself. However, for 1.4 billion people who live in extreme poverty, they don't have the chance to eat more on Saturday. Or Sunday. Or maybe ever. I feel very thankful for everything I've got and the opportunities that are afforded to me.

However, any tinge of guilt will probably not be felt during the cooked breakfast I'm planning for Saturday morning!

Today's food was a repeat of Tuesdays. Breakfast was porridge again, today i cooked it at uni, and hoped that it wouldn't boil over. But it did. Which meant I had to clean out the microwave at uni (a rather disgusting job) and had less than planned porridge.


Breakfast - Porridge (boiled over once again)

Lunch was leek and potato soup with chapatti. I thought it tasted a lot better than Tuesdays, but then it may have been because I was really hungry, not being able to eat until 3pm.


Lunch - Very tasty Leek and Potato Soup (Note the black chapatti from very burnt flour…)


The afternoon, spent modifying my presentation was almost too much. I left my office late, and rushed back to get some tea. However on the way home I started to get a headache, and then feel slightly light headed, so walked a bit slower. Tea was fried rice with vegetables, not as good as Tuesdays, but definitely hit the spot.


Tea - Fried Rice and Vegetables

So, tomorrow is the last day. I'll be sad to stop - I'm sure the weight I want to lose for the summer would just fall off with this sort of diet - but I feel that if I went on for too much longer I'd burn up in a ball of wrath…

SAM

No comments: